Friday, November 22, 2013

Baked Goods and Half-Baked Ideas

I love baking. The idea of chemical reactions in a ceramic bowl, the precise measuring of powder ingredients like in a lab, the not so precise act of "tweaking," and the magic ability of heat to turn delicious dough into lodestones of human gratitude. I feel like the mad scientist researcher I always wanted to be-- but didn't want to be when I found out research meant waiting for nothing to happen then understanding why nothing happened, and, most terrifyingly, explaining to others why nothing happened. Bakers get (comparatively) instant gratification and work in much more enticing conditions. That is, in the lab I was never allowed to deeply inhale anything (without scientifically wafting) and I couldn't sneak tastes of any powders-- without reading the MSDS, of course!

With the quick approach of Christmas I've been preparing myself for the onslaught of mint chocolate chip cookies and snicker doodles-- last winter I literally made millions (read: hundreds) of cookies for my friends, self, family, and parents' work. I spent time tweaking my two recipes until I mastered them. I had no clue what the hell was happening at the molecular level, but considering I lost all my mental notes from last year, hopefully this video will help me...


Gotta love TED.

Putting the cookies on the backburner for a bit... I've been looking at graduate school programs. Currently I'm considering a Food Studies program and a Digital Media Design for Learning program at NYU. I'm torn because neither are something I'm particularly knowledgeable of, nor something my parents would consider "useful." Even though I wouldn't be asking my parents for tuition if I ever do attend, I feel that their ideal of usefulness is unfairly ingrained in my head and leaves me torn between what I find interesting vs. useful.

At 23, I still ask myself what I want to do in life. Strangely enough I think I'm more afraid now than when I was 18, not because I'm older, but because I forced myself to go after a degree I did not want to do, and I lived through those "consequences" the hard way. So looking at these very non-engineer/lawyer/doctor graduate programs surface the question, "is this what I want?" Right now I'm leaning toward yes. Clearly, I'm interested in food (did I just call myself fat?), and the videos I've posted lately have used graphic design to teach.

I can feel a tingle. I'm not entirely sure, but I'm starting to appreciate this blog for the reason I started it-- to show me what I want to do with this life.


PS. More cookie science from those textbook people here

No comments:

Post a Comment