Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Ode to the Teacher Man

I'm back in time for the new school year! No, I'm no longer in school (got that diploma, what what!?), nor am I a teacher (funemployed, yeah yuh!). But the teacher man in my life is employed and his students are in school. This post is dedicated to them.

If you know Teacher Man, you know that he is humbler than apple pie-- even more modest than your bundled up grandmother eating apple pie outside on a snowy day because there were no more available chairs at the dinner party she was hosting in her own humble home. Yeah, THAT humble. Anywho, he's entering his second year of educating our future movers and shakers so we decided to bedeck his room with posters. These are the masterpieces...



The printed ones were designed with Power Point (good stuff), printed via Staples, and turned out mighty huge at 24"x36". Keep Calm, Just du It and the iTest posters are ideas we found floating around the interwebs and Pinterest. Each one has a little "Mr. B Approved" stamped at the bottom. From what Teacher Man tells me, the students are really digging them. And I quote,
"Mr. B, that is too much."
Which in Oldspeak translates to, "How delightfully witty and humorous these posters are. They surely brighten up my learning environment."
These posters aren't exactly feats of design, or wonders of science, or even mentions of social justice, but considering it's been a year since I last posted I figure I'd start off with something (-one) I'm very proud of.

Classroom posters are difficult to make. They have to be attention grabbing (but not disruptive) and informative (but quick to the point). Even more important than being memorable, these posters have to be, above all, NOTICED. They have to be noticeable because if you pick them as carefully as Teacher Man and I have, the posters become a reflection of you. Everyone needs recognition. Teacher Man's heart doesn't just sit on his sleeve, but it also adorns the walls of his room. These posters mirror his excitement for the classroom, his love for math, and his quirky humor that is just "too much."

Teacher Man, I recognize you.


You're insecure, I don't know what for. Teacher Man, you enlighten my world like nobody else...
The way that you teach math makes me understand,
But when you sigh at the lesson plan I can tell!
You don't know, oh no, you don't know you're wonderful.
If only you felt what I believe,
You'll understand why you plus me is less than 3.
Right now I'm proud of you and I can't conceive
That you don't know, oh, joon,
You don't know you're educational.
You have always been wonderful.

1 comment: