Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Designs to Remember: 9/11

Today is Patriot Day. More than a decade later I still shiver like I did as a 6th grader-- still not comprehending the impact of the event. A knot travels from my heart, past my throat, and threatens to drown my eyes. The event isn't only a symbol of different sentiments for all sorts of individuals, but it's also an unwavering tie between citizens of the US and beyond.

Recently, I got the chance to visit the 9/11 Memorial site. It was the first stop of my first trip to NYC and I was nervous. The hype of getting tickets and walking the several blocks along the construction fence to the footprints of the Twin Towers couldn't match how wonderful it is beyond the security gates.

The vast forest of trees planted in concrete is a world apart from the fast-paced, humid streets of lower Manhattan while simultaneously sharing the unique essence of The City (or what I know it as). If the bumble of the streets suffocated me, here the rush of awe knocked the wind out of me. While I stared into the depths of the reflecting pools, 1 WTC looked over me as it reached for the heavens. There was the heart of the city embedded beyond its foundations. Above was its future-- still out of reach but in sight. And at hand's reach were the names of those who walked this earth-- engraved in bronze, smooth and cool to the touch. The memorial's design couldn't have conveyed remembrance better.

What irks me are the visitors. When a little boy asked why we had to go through security his not-that-old older brother responded with an off-handed comment that they were making sure we weren't terrorists. Friendly signs asked visitors to exercise respect for the site as a memorial, but there were hordes of people talking loudly and carelessly like this was another tourist site. People would scoot next to a lonely bronze panel, pose, snap a picture, then run off for a better angle. I'm happy that the importance of this memorial brought them here, but this isn't just anther must-see of NYC. This is the resting place of thousands and a place of solace for countless others. This is where a country stood in shock and despair, and where it's been rebuilding for the past decade.

Even with all that irkin', the spirit of the memorial is steadfast. The waterfalls play their acoustic part by drowning out the traffic and yappy tourists. The welcome brochure is available in various languages, and asks visitors to take time to read and touch the panels of names. The designs of the entire plaza and of 1 WTC are unmatched. If being accountable to thousands of families and the United States of America isn't social responsibility then I don't know what is. I can't fathom a design project like this, but the caliber of design and symbolism it's achieved so far is something I can only hope to attain someday through my work.

If you have the time, check out the NOVA doc on Engineering Ground Zero. It is a fantastic overview of the design and engineering challenges of the memorial and 1 WTC. NOVA can do you no wrong! Take a moment of silence to remember. Take a moment more to learn about how we've been rebuilding since 9/11/01.


Watch Engineering Ground Zero on PBS. See more from NOVA.

1 comment:

  1. What a well-written reflection on 9-11 and the memorial. I too agree that the visitors were disappointing--I wonder if people tend to view it as more of a tourist spot than a memorial? I hope we don't water down it as a memorial for nearly 3,000 lost souls, and wonder if the soon-to-be-completed museum will help in that regard, giving people a reminder of the reality of 9-11 (not that anyone should need one).
    And yes, I second the recommendation to watch the Nova video. Amazing video.

    ReplyDelete