Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Status Quo of Learned Helplessness

Let's start with the word (or phrase) of the day:
sta-tus quo /steɪtəs kwoʊ/ noun:  the existing state or condition. literally, "the state in which."

The act of maintaining this lackluster Latin duo might be better understood with some just-as-invigorating American phrases:
"there's nothing you can do about it"
"it is what it is"
"whatever"
"meh"
I will be the first to admit that I have an affinity for anything sparkly or Latin, but I completely despise this phrase and its American counterparts. It oozes with the banality of cliches and the similar connotation of apathy and despair. Then again, maybe it's only this definition of stagnancy that makes me enraged. Maybe the magic of this phrase's Latin roots is found in its present contextual kingdom-- a.k.a. its own status quo?

According to Prof. Wikipedia, this word was birthed into political popularity during the 14th century via the phrase in statu quo res erant ante bellum-- "in the state in which things were before the war." Ante bellum, that is the invigorating magic that status quo beholds. Rich with classical Latin provocation, this extended phrase implies that the status quo can only be broken with action. Social movement is an example of disturbing the status quo on a large scale-- it is also the contextual kingdom where Latin is elevated to current events.

For entry-level activists such as myself, hearing "there's nothing you can do about it" makes my emotional blood boil. It's this attitude-- this bias for the status quo-- this... complacency that let's people (and ultimately, institutions) raise that glass ceiling. I hear you, sometimes the battle isn't worth the war, but it's heartbreaking what reasonable battles people let go: education, respect in the work place, the state of their neighborhood. The following is a typical "conversation" I have with my mother when I feel whiney about something
Me: it makes me angry.
Mom: why? it is what it is.
Me: what do you mean? it isn't what it is, we can speak up.
Mom: no, anak. you worry only about what you can change.
Me: you can change anything you want to! it's not illegal.
Mom: no, anak. let it go.
Why is our community attracted to the status quo? Am I guilty of it? I am awake at 4:00 a.m. writing about social movement to a sleeping audience. This is not exactly the activist lifestyle I have in mind: my internship has been draining me of emotional/ physical energy, this post has taken me hours to craft (half of which were spent on thesaurus.com), I've lost all my good vibrations, and I haven't been afraid to tell people. So, what's keeping me from quitting and going places?! Cue video from the 90's...



Learned helplessness is best described by youarenotsosmart.com/2009/11/11/learned-helplessness/
The Misconception: If you are in a bad situation, you will do whatever you can to excape it.
The Truth: If you feel like you aren't in control of your destiny, you will give up and accept whatever situation you are in. 
As Ms. Charisse Nixon says in the video, learned helplessness is a concept only used in academic research, yet completely applicable to our daily lives. Could it be? This luxury of complacency keeping me from quitting my job and pursuing my heart's delights is actually a psychological theory? Have I experienced failure comparable to this situation one too many times? Maybe I am being reasonable and my plans practical. Maybe I am smart, but I've trained myself perfectly to react helplessly and depressed. Maybe we are all capable of fighting for what we believe in-- but maybe... most likely, we have been whipped into thinking that all we're good for is the status quo.

A last thought... in Latin
a posse ad esse--  "from possibility to actuality."

3 comments:

  1. You should check the email I sent you with two people's stories about this.

    I hope this isn't a spoiler...but I'm glad you found a way to not remain content with this status quo you talk about. Takes courage. Way to buck the trend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The idea around status quo is so... intriguing. It's a word that in itself defines staying in place, but incites movement. If you search status quo there are a ton of articles about social movements/activism... so am I bucking the trend or hopping on the bandwagon? Am I following the status quo of breaking the status quo? WHOA.

    Sorry. This is my over-analyzing for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well who wants to break status quo and do bad?!?!

    I'd imagine most people 'bucking the trend' are doing so to try and do something more meaningful in their lives (social activism!). Hop on the bandwagon then!!

    ReplyDelete